Dramatic moment caravan is completely destroyed when driver towing it loses control when trying to overtake


This is the dramatic moment a caravan is totally destroyed after its impatient driver loses control while trying to overtake a lorry.
The motorist attempted the dangerous manoeuvre on the A39 between Street and Glastonbury in Somerset on Tuesday morning after becoming stuck behind the HGV for several miles.
The driver gambled on finally passing lorry driver, Nick Townley, at a set of lights but badly miscalculated as the road narrowed and lost control at 50mph.
He swerved in front of the truck and his caravan whiplashed into a lamppost, smashing the rear into smithereens and spilling the contents across the road.
The car ended on the opposite side of the road – forcing oncoming traffic to slam on their brakes – with what remained of the caravan still attached.
The moment was captured on camera by a dash cam fitted to the cab of 49-year-old Mr Townley’s lorry.
He had been slowly accelerating his 22-tonne truck to nearly 30mph when the collision happened and managed to perform an emergency stop inside just 20 yards.
Mr Townley, from Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, who has been an HGV driver for 24 years, said he was so shaken by the accident he had difficulty sleeping that night.
He said: ‘I was stopped at the lights and there was one car by the side of me, the red one.
‘There was a box van behind me which had been there from the time just after I came off the M5.
‘We pulled off from the lights. As I was going through the gears the red car passed me.
‘I looked in the mirror and saw the box van was not trying to pass… but less than 8 to 10 seconds later I glanced in the mirror as something caught my attention.
‘This is when I hit the horn and the brakes as hard as I could. I stopped the lorry in around 20 yards and got up on the kerb as much as I dare.
‘I was not trying to block him out as some people suggest – he came through the lights at about 50 mph.’
He posted his dramatic footage on Facebook where scores of people condemned the caravan driver.
The accident closed the road for several hours as police cleared up the debris and questioned the driver.
No one is thought to have been seriously injured in the crash.